Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Marathon Bug...I found a cure!!!



I took my friend down to Portland last weekend so that she could run the Portland marathon. Yes...she chose to run 26.2 miles. There were over 9,000 people there at 6:15 Sunday morning choosing to run 26.2 miles. Have I mentioned that a marathon is 26.2 miles. So as my mom and I rushed to the finish line 4 hours later...I thought how cool is this. I actually got excited for all the people. Seeing an older man slowing running across the finish line while holding onto a younger man made the entire crowd applaud and yell. Watching people one after another cross the finish line with their hands in the air.

So for a moment I thought..."I have been bitten by the marathon bug. I could do this. I have 363 days to train...plenty of time." But then reality hit me in the head and I came to my senses. The car ride home was a really eye opener for me. My friend Christine was achy and not feeling herself. I thought..."who in there right mind would want to run 26.2 miles." Now I will tell you that Christine shaved off 3 minutes from the two previous marathons she had done. So I was totally proud of her for that!!! But as we were driving home (4+ hours because of traffic and rain) she talks about the Seattle marathon she is singed up for at the end of November!!! Are you kidding me??? You have got to be off your rocker!!! But then I remember the faces of those running at the finish line...the look of achievement. The emotion coming out of there eyes and smiles. I was infected by the marathon bug.

But only to be cured of the bug and maintain my cheerleading spot at the end of the race. So no plans to race...maybe walk a half marathon someday.

3 great comments:

Anna said...

I know what you mean! Marathons sound both ridiculous and fascinating. My husband ran Hood to Coast and loved it. It got me thinking but no action has resulted.

I'll do a half marathon with you, though!!!! (As long as we can walk at least some of the time!)

Mrs. Breum said...

My mom walked a marathon last year, and Jason is training for one. I have NO desire to run one. Or walk one.

I'll come watch you and Anna cross the finish line, though!

:)

Tami said...

Running is something that you do become addicted to--just like anything else. It is a great feeling...since it is a healthy addiction. I say this wistfully because I'd love to start running again--it is just hard to start...the first month is hard, but you improve every day. But, to tell you the truth, I think walking is actually better for your body--it's just slower.