Thursday, March 29, 2007

The first goodbye


So we had our first goodbye with my mom today and it was harder than I thought. Usually when she would come visit us back in Oregon, it was Hi and then Bye. We knew we would see her either the next day or the day after that. Now I am experiencing a whole new set of emotions. I didn't think I would cry when she left. This picture says it all. I felt like a kid again. Like the first day of kindergarten and your mom leaves you for the first time.
Then there was Nicholas. He woke from his nap and the first thing out of his mouth was "Go Bye, Bye with Nana?". I am thinking it will get easier as time passes, however right now it stinks!!! As I tell Nicholas that Nana will come again Easter weekend, I am still sad that she is gone. I guess you never really appreciate something until it's gone.
With that said....Mom I appreciate you and ALL that you did to make my new house a home. I love you and can't wait for you to come back!!!!

2 great comments:

Mrs. Breum said...

Shana~

I love your new house! It's beautiful. And I'm glad the kids have met some new friends already.

And, I know exactly, exactly how you feel. I've been the one crying at the airport with my daughter, knowing it would be 3 or 4 months before we saw my mom again.

I know what you mean~ you don't appreciate things unless you've been through an experience that shows you how different it can be.

It's hard moving with kids, too- especially once you've already become accustomed to living near grandma and grandpa. I've said to my mom before that I think it would have been easier to never have lived close in the first place, rather than to have lived close and then moved. They were so used to visiting each other every week (more than once) and then went to visits every few months. That was hard (for all of us!).

Anyway, it will get a bit easier. It will never be the same, but it will get easier~ and the kids will adjust quickly. We've only been here 2.5 years and they really consider it home. They are sad to leave.

Good luck w/ the unpacking, etc- sounds like you're off to a good start! :)

Definitely stop by when you're in town. I'll give you all our info after we move. The kids can make a mess and we can talk. (Gosh, we could even invite the Grandmas!!)


:)

Anna said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! There is nothing like having mom around. When mine is here she cleans, she plays with the kids, she tells me I am doing a good job ... ahhh!

My mom only lives 1.5 hrs. away, but it is a similar feeling of having to say "goodbye" since we can't just pop over and see each other.

Hang in there!
(PS--Cute new house!! It looks like it's on a bit of property. How fun for the kids!)