Thursday, April 19, 2007

Oh how do you find a church?



Since moving away from home the priority of finding a church as been #1. However, I have been at the same church back home since I was in jr high. So having to "shop" for a church has never been a issue. It is exciting to know that what ever church we end up at...it will be a place that my husband and I have found on our own. I have been on many websites to look at the doctrine and missions of most churches here in town. But I am not exactly sure what to look for. I suppose just going, hearing the pastor and the kids reaction will tell me if it is right or not. It is hard to have a family of 6 and try and please everyone. We have been to one church so far, and I am looking forward to visiting one this weekend. I have tried so hard not to compare to many things to our old church. But it can be daunting at times.

I am relying on prayer and the Holy Spirit to lead us in a direction that will be good for our whole family. But in the end I am sad to think that we may not find the fellowship of friends that we have had before. We must look ahead and know that God will show us the right church for us to belong to and also get involved in a small group. Through Faith and guidance we will find a church.

2 great comments:

Anna said...

I'll be shootin' up a prayer for you. A good church is such a blessing, but hard not to let your own expectations get in the way, huh?

Hang in there!

Tami said...

A couple things pop into my head that I have heard before:

I forget the seminary terms that were used--exogesical, or something like that--but, anyway, it was basically, that when looking for a church to listen to several of the pastor's sermons and make sure he is not only preaching topical messages based around one or two main Scriptures, but mostly messages that disect the truth of a larger passage of Scripture in its entirety because the former could be too much interpretation of the Scripture. I don't know--I just always remembered hearing that.

The other thing I've been noticing that sets apart a good church, besides some growth (see where the Spirit is working and join Him there), is a church that is reaching out and ministering to the community and elsewhere.

Good luck--stay excited--and I will pray, too.